Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Can Build on This

I mentioned in last week’s column that I was hopeful to get one last appearance under my belt before the playoffs started. I was fortunate enough to get two.

I threw two innings versus the Hamilton Thunderbirds on Friday night in our final home game of the regular season. In an ironic twist, I started against the Thunderbirds in our home opener back in May and here I was on the mound versus the same opponents two months later.

I was happy with my performance. My first inning was three up and three down and included a strikeout. The first batter I faced in my second inning of work got a hold of a get-me-over fastball with a 1-0 count and deposited my offering over the left field fence.

I bore down after the home run and finished the inning off without giving up another run. The most important stat for me was that I had zero walks, which means that the command and control of my arsenal was where I want it. I was throwing all of my pitches for strikes.

It was Rock the Park in London over the weekend which is a concert that brings a variety of big bands to Harris Park, which is just across the Thames River from the ballpark. It was a surreal experience while I was on the mound to pitch while listening to Meat Loaf rock out to Rock and Roll Dreams Come True.

We played Toronto on Sunday afternoon and if we won it would clinch us second place in the league and avoid a first round match up with the Ottawa Fat Cats (an arduous bus trip that we desperately wanted to avoid).

We came out unbelievably flat and were down 8-0 by the end of the first inning. We weren’t able to recover and fell to the Maple Leafs 17-2. I threw the last inning of the game as our bullpen was short (which has become a common theme over the last couple of weeks). Once again, I didn’t walk a batter and did not give up an earned run.

That’s three straight appearances — encompassing four innings – without giving up a walk. I’m extremely happy with those results. It’s taken a lot of hard work, but I’m confident I can be an effective option for the team during the postseason. I know what I need to do mechanical-wise to throw strikes and if I feel like my command is slipping, I can get myself back on track.

That’s the most important thing: being able to make adjustments mid-game, rather than be at a loss when the ball isn’t doing what I want it to do.

Playoffs start tonight versus Ottawa. Unfortunately, we will have to travel to the Nation’s Capital over the long weekend, but, the way we’re looking at it, if we have to drive that far, we may as well ensure that the series doesn’t need to come back to London next week.

The three months of foreplay is over. Now it’s time for the real thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment